Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Overwhelmed

Have you ever felt as though you can't possibly handle one more thing? I'm there!

Being a school teacher is a very consuming job. I love my students and they are in my thoughts all the time. My lesson preparations fill my brain night and day, as well as concern for my students academic and personal growth. Sometimes I just want my brain to shut off and it wont.

I also serve as our school's Gifted Facilitator. Along with that assignment comes district meetings, parent meetings, faculty training and the huge task of testing nearly 300 students a year. (I teach at a school with MANY gifted students) Meeting everyone's need can be overwhelming.

Since receiving my masters in technology, I am frequently asked to assist teachers in being successful with interating these skills into their curriculum to prepare students to compete in a global society as they grow. I love sharing this knowledge as I don't know how to teach without it. However, I tend to put others first and forget that I need time to prepare.

I love to continue my education with Professional Development opportunities, friend and I will be teaching an all-day history seminar dealing with the new Social Studies Core Curriculum in 5th grade. Time crunch is occuring, along with the weight and responsibility of being the instructor and giving these educators something that they can take to their classrooms and inspire their students.

Let's add my church responsibilities. I am currently the Stake Primary President of over 4 years. I was finally loving this calling when they called me to be the Ward Enrichment Leader. I assumed the Stake calling would soon go bye-bye, but was informed that it might be awhile. So, next week I am doing an enrichment meeting on Tuesday and a Stake Primary Leadership Mtg. on Thurs. Can you spell S-T-R-E-S-S???

Needless to say, the floors aren't scrubbed, laundry is piling up, and I just want to spend time with my family. ARGH!!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Holy cow! You do have a lot on your plate. But I'm sure that your kids love you, as well as your Stake and Ward.

Christa said...

I wish that Tyler had a teacher like you. Don't get me wrong, his teacher this year and those in the past have been fine, but I've always felt like they could do just a little more. Oh, by the way, I asked for his scores at his SEP conference. His teacher didn't have them right then. I'll keep trying so that you can look at them.

Sorry about all of the stress. Let the floors stay dirty and make Larry do the laundry. I also recommend ice cream. It always makes me feel better emotionally. My butt and hips don't feel so lovey dovey about it, but I don't care.

Wendy said...

you are a busy lady !! WOW! good luck on my give away, maybe that will make life a little more relaxing for ya, cupcakes!!

Natalie said...

Pam, as I read your post I thought of all of the overwhelming papers you helped me get through. Those nights of studying at the Smith home were great. It is great to read your blog. I like to read them but have only ever posted once (and it was a joke post) and commented like three or two times but I just wanted to say hi and let you know how great you are. Keep your chin up. One of my cabinet installers the other day told me they discovered he has thyroid cancer. Not Fun!! He just got married too. It made me realize how things truly can be worse.